Saturday, July 08, 2006

Shoichi Yokoi


Between 1971 and '74, half my life was spent aboard the USS Henry Clay, a submarine home ported in Guam. I was thinking of all the fascinating and sometimes surreal things to tell you about my experience when I recalled something way more fascinating that happened while I was there. In January 1972, Shoichi Yokoi came out of the jungle. He was a Japanese soldier who had been living there for 26 years since the end of World War ll. His first words back in Tokyo were"It is with much embarrassment that I return." He remarried that same year and passed away in 1997 at the age of 82. Apologies for my ineptitude creating links. If you go to Wikipedia, there's a good overview of the life of Shoichi Yokoi. More about the submarine some other time.

2 comments:

B. Khan said...

Rev.
How did Craig "Pig" Morden get the nickname 'pig'? Who's Jim McDonald and Donald Messer? Your fans want to know the 'goings on' aboard the Henry Clay.

Anonymous said...

I find some information here.